Sunday, May 26, 2013

Moltkes Bar

The Officer - Arette Blanco tequila, Lillet Blanc, Chartreuse Jaune, lemon juice, and Laphroaig 10 years.
21st Century

Moltkes Bar
Dronningens Tværgade 2
1302 Copenhagen K

Notes:
It was a spring-y Friday night when B and I popped into Moltkes Bar for the first time. The location is slightly off the beaten path (well, not really... but personally I never get around this part of town by coincidence), situated right next to Michelin-starred AOC inside Moltkes Palæ (they translate palæ into palace on their website - not how sure that translation is, though it certainly gives out a mondane vibe once you enter the building). The bar brands itself as being a speakeasy, which is fitting in many ways... though they could dim the lights just a tad, if you ask me. 

What B and I had initially found enticing about the place is their old school cocktail menu. But once we were there I actually felt more like having a 21st Century than its predecessor, the 20th. The bartender responded quite baffled and was not exactly accommodating to my request - much to my surprise, it's a new classic after all. In the end, after a bit of explanatory action and smartphoning he managed to mix it for me. B went with one of their own classics. He was pleased, but certainly not blown away - just the way I felt about my drink. In the end, we left the bar feeling a bit indifferent. I found the ambience a bit too cold, the lights to stark, and something seemed to be lacking in terms of providing a solid speakeasy experience. I will not reject that I will return in the future, but I honestly think Copenhagen boasts a lot of other different cocktail bars to be explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment